Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

Are Mormon's Christian?



Some people have asked me if Mormons are Christians.  Are we traditional Christians -- No, but are we Christians -- Yes!  Our name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To me being a Christian is a person who believes in Jesus Christ as our Savior and tries to follow His example of loving and serving others.

To many people religion is about tradition. They feel a sense of security in following what others have done for centuries.

When I was in my late teens, I was looking for more than mere tradition. I was seeking truth.  I was looking for revelation from God. Therefore, I was shocked to learn in my college Humanities class about the Council of Nicaea when, in 325 AD, early Christian leaders sought to determine the beliefs of the Christian church.  Some thought God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost were mysteriously one being, and others thought they were separate beings. After heated debate, they still couldn't agree, so they voted to determine what the church would teach as the nature of God. The concept of the Trinity won the vote.  I was upset.  How could truth be determined by a vote! To me the thought of a God that does not have "body, parts, or passions" is incomprehensible. They also said that they were all one being, but separate. This all made no sense to me. That was not the personal God I had known and who had been there for me all my childhood.

So I kept looking. I even studied many different world religions. Though many things seemed good and right, many things didn’t. Then in a high school class, I met a girl that impressed me. There was a love within her family, and when she invited me to go to church with her, I felt that same love there. I wanted to find out more about these “Mormons”.  I learned that they believed in revelation from God, both to individuals and through prophets , and that they exercised priesthood power like the ancient apostles to bless and help people. I found out that “Mormons” believed in being true disciples of Christ, and that Christ, Himself, directs the Church through living prophets and through giving his authority and power (Priesthood) to mankind. I found that not only did these people talk about following Christ’s example of being loving and serving others -- they did it. Most members were trying to keep God’s commandments, not just on Sunday, but every day of the week.  I was deeply touched by the teaching that the Atonement of Jesus Christ not only allows us to live forever, but enables us change and grow so that someday we can live with God. The best part was that not only was there hope that we could return to live with God, but that we could live there with our family.  It all felt true. This is what I had been looking for.  It felt like something I had once known, but had forgotten. These were the true teachings of my Heavenly Father.  This was true Christianity!

This is a video of Apostles of the Lord, the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, testifying of Jesus Christ

video


Here are some links for more information

http://www.lds.org/topic/mormon/

http://www.mormon.org/faq    Are Mormons Christians?

No comments:

Post a Comment