Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Why Do Bad Things happen to Good People?



I just read the book of Job and thought, “I identify with him”. Gratefully, I haven’t had to face the loss of all my children, and financial ruin, but I have had some rough times. When Job felt so rotten that he wished he hadn’t been born, I know that feeling.  Before it was discovered that I had Addison’s disease (very low Adrenal function), I was sick to my stomach, ached, could barely move, had smashing headaches, couldn’t focus, remember,  think or sleep well, and was depressed. Day and night merged. I never felt really awake nor asleep.

In my misery I, like Job, sought the support of family and friends.  Instead  “helpful” people told me that I was just depressed and admonished me to “just get going and you will be fine”.  Others tried to encourage me to “have faith and the Lord will heal you”.
Job’s “friends” told him that the “bad” things had happened in his life because he was bad.  I knew I wasn’t perfect, but I also knew that what was happening to me wasn’t because I deserved it.
Then why do “bad” things happen to good people? My faith as a Mormon helps me to know God as my loving Heavenly Father and see this life as an opportunity to grow in character and strength.  He is not some great “Santa” in the sky who exists to give me what I want whenever I want it.  God loves me and allows me to have the experiences I need to help me grow.


What makes a hero?
We all love exciting stories when our hero overcomes difficulties; saves the princess, rescues the baby from the burning building, survives the crash, faces disappointment and loss; and by so doing “becomes a man”, finds inner strength,  develops good qualities, and learns to love.  Could there be the hero without the dragon, the fire, or the crash?  Though it does sound appealing, wouldn’t life be boring with only sunshine and happy moments?  I confess that it hasn’t been fun, but I know that I have learned a great deal from being ill. I have found strength within me that I didn’t know was there, and my husband and I have grown closer.  I have far more compassion and patience. I have had time to think and write. My life has truly been shaped for the better by my illness.
Would a loving Heavenly Father stifle our growth by protecting us from all challenges?  No.  Even we know that good parents need to allow their children to face difficulties and experience consequences so that they might learn. Life on this earth is an opportunity to progress.  I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows my potential and allows me to suffer the “bad” that I might grow.

for more information about what Mormons believe go to
http://mormon.org/what-do-mormons-believe

see http://sherryannestories.blogspot.com/  Topics - Adversity

No comments:

Post a Comment