Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Born that Man No More May Die

Some may think it strange to talk about death at Christmas time. They say this is a time to be merry- not to think of dying, but overcoming death is what we rejoice about at Christmas.

The authors of our Christmas carols understood this as shown in these words from Hark the Herald Angels Sing:

Born that man no more may die. Born to raise the sons of earth. Born to give them second birth. Hark! The herald angels sing "Glory to the newborn King!"

I know of people who must face death this Christmas season. In the birth of our Savior they find hope and comfort that they will someday again be with their loved ones. 

Of course our physical bodies die and decay in the earth, but can our spirit decay? You can feel a person's spirit, their presence, but can you touch it? Many people who are with a person at the point of death have stated that they just suddenly feel that "they are gone". What are they experiencing? They are feeling the spirit leave the body. You can feel the difference even if a person is completely comatose. Something that made them who they are is no longer there.  

Yes, the body we have now will get damaged, age, and someday quit functioning. I know my body is getting old and has a lot of physical problems. I know I will die, but I also know that through the power of our Savior, I will receive a new body, one that will be perfect and never decay. In that body I will live forever with the people I love. 

He truly was "Born to give us second birth". I sing with the angels, "Glory to the newborn King!"

No comments:

Post a Comment