Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Words of Comfort



I think this music is beautiful and peaceful. Enjoy. We generally think of joy and happiness at Christmas time, but I know of some people who are suffering. It is especially difficult to be hurting when others are merry. I was sorrowing with a person I love, and as I read from the scriptures I began to feel peace. Here are some words of comfort for those in need.


From the Bible

The Old Testament
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

  The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.  Psalma 18:2

 4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.
Isaiah 25:4

 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; Isaiah 61:3

Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me. Isaiah 25:5

18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:Isaiah 49:18 (Commandments are not antiquated rules to restrict us and keep us miserable, but wise advise of how to be happy. Only a fool would ignore them.)

  • Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peaceJob 22:21 .
The New Testament
The Savior said about himself at the beginning of His ministry:
 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, Luke 4:18

 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.Matthew 5:4

22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour. Matthew 9:22 (we can be made whole not only in body but spirit)

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Matthew 11: 29

 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18 (He has come and been with me in my darkest hours when I didn't think I could endure more. I just knew He was close by me and I was able to make it.)

 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 2 Corinthians 1:3

 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation. 2 Corinthians 7:4 (What an example Paul life was of the strength faith in God can give.)

16 Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.
2 Thessalonians 3:16

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27 (This scripture has been a great comfort to me during rough times)

  • in me ye might have peaceJohn 16:33 .
  • peace, to every man that worketh good: Rom. 2:10 .
  • we have peace with God through our Lord: Rom. 5:1 .
  • to be spiritually minded is life and peaceRom. 8:6 .
  • fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peaceGal. 5:22 .
  • he is our peaceEph. 2:14 .
  • peace of God, which passeth all understanding: Philip. 4:7 .
  • let the peace of God rule in your hearts: Col. 3:15 .

Book of Mormon
 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—  Mosiah 18:9  (This is what we promise when we are baptized. We are often the means which God sends comfort to others. I know so many people have helped and comforted me.)

 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
D&C 121 (Sometimes it is hard to remember when you are suffering that it will end  and as part of our eternal assistance it really isn't that long. Trials test our faith and build our character. We have to have faith that all is for our good in the long run. )

47 Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world. Helaman 5:47

  • founder of peace, yea, even the Lord: Mosiah 15:18 .
  • may the peace of God rest upon you: Alma 7:27 .
  • I did find peace to my soul: Alma 38:8 .
    • Did I not speak peace to your mind: D&C 6:23 .
    • you shall have peace in me: D&C 19:23 .
    • even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come: D&C 59:23 .
    • he is full of mercy … and peaceD&C 84:102 .
    • by the peace and power of my Spirit: D&C 111:8 .
    • peace be unto thy soul: D&C 121:7 .
    • among the righteous there was peaceD&C 138:22 .
    And one of my favorites especially at this time of year;

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:14











No comments:

Post a Comment