Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Truth and Faith

When I was in my early teens I began to question organized religions. I felt that each religion had some truth, but many of the things they said just didn't feel right to me. I studied many religions including Far Eastern. I learned how beliefs were voted on at the Council of Nicea and later how Protestants leaders tried to reform and return to beliefs they felt were true. Religions were formed as people interpreted scripture and mixed it with what they thought was right. Though I admire these good people, this was not what I was looking for. I didn't want to just pick some religion that seemed the best of the lot, I wanted real truth. I wanted revelation from God. I don't understand how some people can just say, "This is what my religion says is true so that is what I believe".  I live by true principles and I test them out so I know they are true.


Yes, there aren't lots of artifacts, but do your really think they would build faith? Actually, I've heard that they think they have found the ark, but few people care. Is it really good for people to have physical "proof" and then not keep the commandments? Nothing will convince anyone who doesn't want to believe something. You get evidence as you are ready for it and ready to live it.
I like the definition of faith.

Faith is to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true (Heb. 11:1; Alma 32:21)
I remember hearing a story about Sir Isaac Newton where a friend was visited him. When the friend saw a model of the solar system, he asked who made it.  Newton replied that no one had made it.  His friend said  someone had to have made it. Newton replied that he had put some things in a box and left them a long time and it just happened. The man said that was silly. Newton had made his point,  and I agree. All creations must have a creator. Everything I see, touch, smell, taste, and hear has been created and therefore had a creator.

The scriptures give us records of many people who saw and spoke with this creator. People who have not yet come to live on the earth or have lived here and returned (angels) have told us about him. He has appeared to many prophets.  I think wise people learn from other's experiences. but it isn't enough.  Many people have shared their experiences with me, but it isn't enough.  When it comes down to it you can only know things from your own personal experiences. What other people have done, and seen, and know helps me to have the faith to try something so I can know it for myself.
Because of what I have read in the scriptures and heard from others, I have been willing to try out some principle.

Here are a  few of the principles I have tried out and found true:
Being grateful for what you have makes you feel happier
Sharing your talents blesses your life more than those you help
Exercise strengthens your body
Eating things I'm allergic to makes me ill
Listening with the heart improves communication
Heavenly Father will answer my prayers
When things do not go as I plan, trust God. He has the big picture.
Treat others how I would like to be treated
Appreciate our differences - these are gifts from God
Don't wait for others to reach out to you- reach out to them first
Accept the way my husband shows love and appreciate it (he doesn't talk much but he fixes things)
You learn more from your children than they do from us
I could go on and on, but I'm sure you have learned these things too.

We all live by faith. Faith is the power to act on what you believe.
Who would pay for a ticket and get on an airplane if they didn't think they would safely go where they were planning? Take us. Would we be starting businesses (especially at our age) if we didn't think it could be done? Who would get married or have children, or for that matter get out of bed, without faith?

I think faith is a dynamic principle.  It is that knowing step into the darkness. As we feel the solid ground under us we have knowledge of that truth, then with faith we take another step.  Faith is moving ahead based on our past positive experiences. It is the power to grow and learn.  I think if is an exciting principle! There is so much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment