Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Why Do I Celebrate Easter?


Because of Him

To many Easter is just a traditional holiday; a day when they celebrate spring; a day of bunnies, chicks, chocolate, and Easter egg hunts. Of course I'm ready for a celebration when spring finally comes, but this is not why I celebrate Easter. Like me, some remember that the bunnies, chicks, and eggs are to remind us of new life. They represent the hope for the future that we have through the atonement of our Savior.

Some people claim that when a person dies, life is over.  They are right that we do not have the power to refuse to die, or to bring someone back to life. Though we do not have such power, our God, our creator, surely does. Through the exercise of His power, the Savior made it so that all men's spirit and body can be eternally reunited.  We will then be a complete soul; not just a spirit.

Yes, everyone will live forever, but think about that more closely. Think about being as you are -- forever!  I find that a scary thought.  It reminds me of the book, Tuck Everlasting, where a family drinks from a spring and finds that they remain as they are; not only physically, but emotionally and mentally. There is no change. Just living forever even with a body that doesn't change, isn't enough for me. If I couldn't change, if I couldn't progress, if I were doomed to repeat my mistakes, I know I would be miserable!

This is why I celebrate Easter. It is a time to especially remember the gifts our Savior has given us.  Not only has He made it so that we have the opportunity to live forever, but to change and grow -- forever.  Our Savior has given us hope. Hurts can be healed, wrongs can be righted, mistakes repented of, relationships mended, and character perfected. I am so grateful for our Savior's love and gift of hope. I feel peace knowing that, though His power,  I can change today and always. This is why I joyfully celebrate Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment